Sunday, November 06, 2005

Unsportsman Like Conduct, against the PARENTS!

Ok, I have not used this venue to vent yet. But watch out.
Yesterday, my daughter participated in a cheer competition.
It was an all day event, they cheered for the football players,
and then performed. All while it was raining sideways. They were
troopers. They cheered and danced their hearts out. The age range of these
girls are from 5 years to 15 years. So this is still supposed to be "fun" for them.
No pressure. At the end of the day, the announce the winners. A total of 4 squads
competed, and 3 awards are given out. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd like usual. So here is where I get miffed. They announce the results, 3rd place cheers and applause for the team, 2nd place more cheers, and applause. Now we are down to the 1st place champions. My daughters cheer squad, and another local city's cheer squad are left. The crowd reaches a fevered pitch. They announce the winner. It is not the cheer squad my daughter is on, but no problem. My kid was just excited to perform, so I am happy for her. But wait, what do I hear thundering through the stands, Loud BOOS, and from the parents of my daughters cheer squad. What horrible sportsmanship. I was so embarrassed, that I walked out of the stadium to wait for my daughter.
I even heard swearing. While I was waiting for my daughter, I could hear parents from the other teams make comments. When my daughter got to me, she was fine, no tears, just happy to have competed, and now be done and out of the rain. Some kids were crying, which I'm sure they were disappointed too. But I heard some girls swearing just like their parents. What nice
examples they set. I am glad this was the last event, because of this situation, I am going to put my daughter on another team. I'm sure the board of directors were embarrassed too by the parents actions, but this should not be tolerated.

And that is all I have to say on the matter.

1 comment:

Lynnae said...

Hey girlie! Just wanted you to know that I am an avid reader of your blog, whether I comment or not.

Your daughter on a cheer squad? I SOOO want to watch with you sometime! Parents can be outrageous sometimes and I'm glad that you're still the great, up-beat person that I've known for so long. Your daughter is lucky to have a mom that points out the right from wrong and not just the "poor me" side of things. Kudos to you!

How is Mr. Pom these days? You and I should get together sometime soon, have coffee, you know the usual. I'm still in FW once in awhile, I have good friends that live in TL and NE Tac.

I'm proud to hear that you're carrying on with your brothers spirit. He'd be so proud. :)

Hugs